Terry advises the firm and its clients on strategic and complex matters across the spectrum of issues that affect agribusiness, food processing, mining, water and other natural resources rights. He shares his time among each of the firm’s offices and is located in Sun Valley, Idaho.
Terry most recently served as the Senior Vice President, General Counsel and Secretary of J.R. Simplot Company and its affiliates and currently serves on the Board of Directors. He has dedicated the greater part of his career to the oversight and direction of J.R. Simplot’s legal and regulatory affairs, including environmental, natural resource, public lands, and corporate governance matters on behalf of the company’s national and global interests.
Terry’s work has included landmark and precedent setting matters, including the successful ongoing permitting and reclamation of the Smoky Canyon Mine in Idaho, the Nez Perce Water Rights Settlement Agreement and subsequent Act, and the successful negotiation of complex environmental, water rights and public lands issues. Terry has been a longtime industry representative in negotiations, mediations and rule-makings with various public agencies and entities, including the Environmental Protection Agency, and several Idaho, Oregon and Washington State Agencies. During his tenure at J.R. Simplot, he developed and implemented Sustainable Simplot, an innovative business sustainability program promoting ethical practices that ensure the future vitality of the company's natural resources.
Education & Clerkship
- J.D. University of Nebraska, Lincoln College of Law (1980)
- B.A. Washington State University (1977)
Admissions & Memberships
- State Bar of Idaho
Recognition & Activities
- Board of Directors, J.R. Simplot Company (2014 - present)
- Member, American Corporate Counsel (present)
- Former Chairman and Member, Idaho Water Resources Board (1994-2013)
- Former Board of Trustees Member, American Mining Association (through 2013)
- Former Member:
- National Cattlemen's Beef Association
- Northwest Food Processors Association
- The Fertilizer Institute
- Idaho Mining Association
- Idaho Cattlemen's Association
- National Mining Association
- Idaho Pro Bono Commission
- Washington State Climate Action Team
- Lead Negotiator, Nez Perce Settlement, Idaho Water Users Association (2002-2004)
- Best Lawyers, Agricultural Law and Mining Law, 2021