Isabel counsels clients on a wide variety of energy, climate, recycling, and waste management matters.
Isabel is an Associate in Marten's Boston Office. She has a range of experience with various federal and state statutes, including the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA), the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), the Clean Air Act (CAA), the Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA), and the Federal Power Act.
Prior to Marten, Isabel clerked for Justice Willcock and Justice DeWitt-Van Oosten of the British Columbia Court of Appeal. She graduated from New York University School of Law, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, where she was a Digital Articles Editor for the Review of Law and Social Change. She gained significant experience in environmental and administrative law while completing a Legal Fellowship with the Institute for Policy Integrity. She also interned for Ecojustice, the Natural Resources Defense Council, and the Environmental Law Institute.
- Counsel to renewable energy trade group responding to regulatory petition under consideration by the Environmental Protection Agency.
- Counsel to municipal water districts in actions against U.S. Department of Defense for contamination of public water systems with PFAS.
- Counsel to city seeking to avoid liability under Washington Model Toxic Control Act as a result of the installation of utility infrastructure adjacent to a contaminated site.
- Counsel to owner of contaminated land during negotiations with Washington Department of Ecology over cleanup obligations.
- Counsel to community group challenging the adequacy of National Environmental Policy Act and Environmental Species Act compliance in a major proposed infrastructure project’s environmental reviews.
- Conduct environmental due diligence for land purchases by major real estate developer.
Education & Clerkship
- J.D., magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, New York University School of Law (2019)
- A.B., cum laude, Harvard College
- Judicial Law Clerk, British Columbia Court of Appeal
Admissions & Memberships
- State Bar of Massachusetts
- Ontario Provincial Bar
Publications & Presentations
- Building a New Grid Without New Legislation: A Path to Revitalizing Federal Transmission Authorities, co-authored with Avi Zevin, Sam Walsh, and Justin Gundlach (Ecology Law Quarterly, Sept. 2021).