Sara Cloon's practice focuses on environmental litigation and regulatory compliance.
Sara is an environmental litigator. She counsels public and private clients on environmental remediation and cost recovery; water quality and water rights, emerging contaminants, and renewable energy development. She is experienced in resolving disputes arising under the Clean Water Act, RCRA, CERCLA, and other federal and state environmental laws. Prior to Marten, Sara worked on complex civil litigation at a private firm in Seattle.
Sara earned her Juris Doctor from Notre Dame Law School, where she was an editor of the Journal of Law, Ethics, and Public Policy. Before entering private practice, Sara clerked for the Honorable Chief Judge Thomas O. Rice of the Eastern District of Washington. She also served as a judicial extern for Justice Mary Yu of the Washington Supreme Court. Sara earned her bachelor’s degree with honors in English and Studio Art from the University of Notre Dame.
- Represents client in negotiations with EPA on the Clean Water Act.
- Represents companies in hazardous waste dispute.
- Represent clients in contested water rights claim.
- Represents local governments in cleanup negotiations.
- Represents parties in complex Superfund claims and insurance coverage disputes.
- Represents renewable energy company in a permitting solar project.
- Represented clients in a dispute over remediation of property from contamination.
Education & Clerkship
- J.D., magna cum laude, University of Notre Dame Law School (2017)
- B.A., cum laude, University of Notre Dame (2014)
- Law Clerk to Honorable Chief Judge Thomas O. Rice, Eastern District of Washington (2017-2018)
Admissions & Memberships
- State Bar of Washington
- US District Courts, Eastern and Western Districts of Washington
Recognition & Activities
- Super Lawyers Rising Star in Environmental Litigation, 2022
- Environmental Law Institute's Women in Environmental Law & Leadership
- Member, Legal Affairs Committee, National Association of Clean Water Agencies (NACWA)
- Member, American Bar Association Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources
- Member, American Bar Association Young Lawyers Division