Myles Conway has over 30-years of practice experience working in the areas of real estate law, land use, public lands, environmental law and mining. Mr. Conway regularly assists clients with the acquisition, sale and leasing of commercial real estate in all areas of the country. In addition, he handles the permitting and entitlement of development projects throughout the Pacific Northwest and Alaska. His work includes solar projects, resorts, airports, industrial developments, large data center projects, mixed use commercial and residential developments and projects on both public and private lands. He is experienced with all aspects of development permitting and project approval, including the attainment of administrative entitlements and development approvals from a wide variety of federal, state and local agencies.
Mr. Conway has significant experience working with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management and the U.S. Forest Service on complicated access issues on the public lands. He regularly represents clients in proceedings before local governments, state and federal agencies. He previously served as a land use hearing officer for the City of Bend, adjudicating a variety of land use and development-related matters.
He served as Assistant Attorney General for the State of Alaska from 1995 to 2000, where he addressed many natural resource, environmental and public land issues facing the state, including litigation related to the Pacific Salmon Treaty and access to public lands. Mr. Conway previously handled a significant amount of work on behalf of plaintiff fishermen in the Exxon Valdez oil spill litigation.
- Represented land-owners’ and developers in the acquisition, permitting and extension of infrastructure for large data center campus facilities in Oregon. Obtained annexation of properties and extension of power, transportation, fiber and water infrastructure to data center sites.
- Acting as Oregon Counsel on solar energy projects, handling transactional real estate matters, leasing and land use/entitlement issues.
- Worked to develop “Transect Zone” designation in Deschutes County, Oregon to facilitate housing development in sensitive areas with fire risks and high natural resource values.
- Regularly handling the evaluation/due diligence, acquisition, sale and leasing of large portfolios of commercial real estate.
- Representation of airport in expansion/re-development project.
- Assisting in the acquisition and sale of commercial properties with history of environmental contamination.
- Obtained conceptual master plan and final master plan approval for multi-phased destination resort projects in Deschutes County and Crook County, Oregon.
- Handled re-zoning of 200-acre community college campus and development of mixed-use campus zoning that authorizes wide variety of educational, commercial and residential land uses on college owned properties.
- Represented owners and developers of aggregate quarries to obtain land use approval for aggregate mining and processing operations.
- Representation of Homeowner’s Associations in the administration of residential communities.
- Handled due diligence and acquisition of many large ranch projects in the western U.S. Addressed issues related to state and federal permitting, access to and through federal lands, water rights, mineral reservations, grazing leases and endangered species protections.
- Acted as counsel to large regional homebuilder, assisting in the acquisition, permitting and development of numerous planned residential development projects in Oregon and Washington.
- Drafted local code provisions authorizing mixed-use industrial development projects.
- Completed complex private land exchange projects with the U.S. Bureau of Land Management- placing public lands into private ownership.
- Representation of entity owning significant subsurface mineral holdings in central/eastern Oregon.
- Successfully established public rights-of-way and associated rights of access over protected areas of federal land.
- Re-zoned restricted lands for the development of residential, commercial and industrial uses.
Education & Clerkship
- J.D., University of Oregon School of Law (1988)
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley (1982)
Admissions & Memberships
- Oregon State Courts
- Alaska State Courts
- United States District Court, District of Oregon
- United States District Court, District of Alaska
- United States Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Member, Oregon State Bar Member, Alaska State Bar
- Marten Law LLP, Bend and Portland, OR (2013 - present)
- Schwabe, Williamson & Wyatt, Bend, OR (2003-2013)
- Ball Janik, Bend, OR (2000-2003)
- Assistant Attorney General, State of Alaska (1995-2000)
- Davis Wright Tremaine (1988-1995)