Marten Law LLP seeks an associate attorney with environmental transactional or litigation experience to work in its Seattle or Portland offices. The firm will entertain applications from candidates willing to work from remote locations as well.
This position requires substantive familiarity with state and federal environmental and energy laws. The successful candidate must have experience either:
- Advising corporate and/or public clients on asset transfers, siting, permitting, and hazardous waste cleanup under state and federal environmental laws; or
- Litigation under state and federal environmental and energy laws.
- Environmental Experience: This position requires substantive experience in:
- At least three of the following areas of environmental law: the Clean Water Act (CWA) (enforcement, permitting, and/or §401 certifications); water rights; National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA); Endangered Species Act (ESA); Clean Air Act (CAA); Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA); Toxic Substances Control Act (TSCA); Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA); Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act (FIFRA); and Public Utility Regulatory Policy Act (PURPA).
- Litigation or Transactional Experience: This position requires substantive experience in:
- Representing public and private sector clients seeking to minimize the environmental liability risks associated with asset transfer, development, siting, and permitting (including wind, solar, energy storage, and natural gas facilities)
- Representing public and private sector clients in court or administrative hearings,
- Participation in briefing and motion practice,
- Drafting and responding to discovery requests with limited supervision,
- Document review and production, and
- Taking or defending fact and expert witness depositions.
- Legal Skills
- Writing. This attorney must produce superior written product. Experience as the primary author of legal memoranda, briefs, motions, discovery, contracts, regulatory agreements, and documents related to litigation or real estate and land use transactions is preferred.
- Research. This attorney must be efficient, creative, and effective in performing legal research. Experience researching environmental, land use, or administrative law and regulatory requirements at the federal and state level is preferred.
Other Essential Job Duties
Marten Law attorneys must be able to travel out of state in order to accomplish legal work.
Our billable hour expectation is 1850 billable hours a year. This will require more than 40 hours per week to perform the essential duties of this position. The expectation is that this person will devote, on average, 37+ hours a week on billable job functions and another 7+ hours a week on non-billable activities (marketing, professional development, newsletter articles, firm administration, and supervising paralegal and non-legal staff).
Minimum Education Requirements
- Graduation from top law school or in the top 10% of their law school class
- Law review experience preferred
- Clerkship experience preferred
Please send all of the listed application materials to our COO, William Ashby, at email@example.com. Your application will not be considered if it is not complete.
- Law School Transcript
- Writing Sample (at least one)
- Reference (at least one)
- Optional: LinkedIn account
Click here to download the position description.