Marten Law is seeking a staff accountant to work with the Finance Director and staff to support our growing environmental and energy law practice. A successful applicant must reside in or near, or be willing to locate or relocate to, Seattle by February 2022. The work is primarily on-premises at the Firm’s Seattle Office overlooking the Puget Sound in downtown Seattle.
This is a permanent, full-time position with exceptional benefits, a competitive salary, and a great work environment. We are looking for a smart, hard worker, with interest in accounting. Staff accountant experience with a legal or professional services firm is preferred, but not required.
Marten enjoys a national reputation as a leader in environmental, energy, and natural resource law. Our team of lawyers includes recognized authorities in climate change, wind and solar development, air quality, water resources and water quality, endangered species, forestry, public lands, fisheries, environmental cleanup, and environmental and energy project review and permitting. We work throughout the United States on large-scale projects involving complex negotiations, transactions, and litigation. Our lawyers practice out of offices Seattle, Washington; Portland, Oregon; Washington, D.C.; and Boston, Massachusetts.
Some of your specific responsibilities at Marten will include:
- Full-cycle billing, including generating, editing, and sending invoices to clients.
- Accounts payable, including receiving vendor invoices, entering and coding into an accounting system, preparing checks for signature, mailing checks to vendors, preparing and filing expense records, and paying/recording monthly and quarterly taxes.
- Accounts receivable, including receiving and preparing client payments, entering payments into an accounting system, and depositing payments using remote technologies.
- Credit Card reconciliation, including research on monthly expenses, gathering receipts, reconciling with monthly expense reporting, and entering credit card charges into an accounting system.
- Additionally, the staff accountant assists with payroll, contacting clients regarding overdue payments, and in other ad hoc projects such as preparing engagement letters, billing rate letters, annual 1099 preparation, and employee setup in an accounting system.
Marten LLP will be a great fit if you:
- Have staff accounting experience, preferably with a professional services firm (one year or more preferred, but not required);
- Have a college degree;
- Have a strong work ethic and a professional and positive attitude;
- Take pride in your work and deliver superior work product;
- Pay exceptional attention to detail and can multi-task in a fast-paced practice;
- Take initiative;
- Work well as a member of a team and can handle stress effectively; and
- Are proficient in Microsoft Office. Experience in other programs use accounting work, such as LMS is preferred but not required.
You can expect the following hours and benefits:
- A full-time position, working Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. There will be occasional off-hours work as accounting work demands. This may include occasional work after 5 p.m., for example, in finalizing quarterly or annual financial information. Time worked outside of normal hours will be paid as overtime.
- Annual salary set at $47,500.
- A full benefits package, which includes: medical and dental insurance, paid time off, a 401k with employer match, life insurance, a transportation subsidy, and long-term and short-term disability policies.
You can expect a respectful, diverse working environment:
- Marten Law is dedicated to anti-racist and anti-oppression policies. We are committed to improving greater diversity, equity and inclusion and combating systemic racism. We hire based on demonstrated qualifications without regard to sex, race, religion, sexual orientation, or other qualities.
- Marten Law does not tolerate discrimination, threats, bullying, harassment or any other unwanted behaviors of any kind between or among its employees, or third parties (including opposing counsel, clients, visitors, service providers or guests). People experiencing or observing any of these behaviors are expected to report it to the COO or the Managing Partners. Marten Law will investigate any complaint and take any actions deemed needed, up to and including termination.
You can expect a thorough and unbiased interview experience:
- Finalists for this position will be interviewed by Finance Director and the CAO. We take a time to identify the best match with our company, and then invest in them for the long term.
- Applicants must be able to pass a background check and are expected to be truthful in all respects throughout the interview process.
To apply, fill out our online application at the link below. You must submit a resumé, cover letter, academic transcript, and at least one reference.