Marten Law is seeking a Records Manager to join our rapidly growing environmental and energy law practice.
This position requires managing records for Marten attorneys’ full caseloads, including complex and high-intensity matters involving climate change, renewable energy, and environmental cleanup and restoration. You will use e-discovery and document management software, communicate with clients, and manage electronic and paper files. This is a permanent, full-time position with full benefits, a competitive salary, and a supportive, positive work environment.
The successful applicant must be willing to locate or relocate to Seattle by the end of June 2021.
Your responsibilities at Marten will include:
- Deploy the policies and procedures necessary to support and continuously improve a comprehensive records management and retention program for the firm
- Oversee governance of electronic and physical record storage and compliance measures
- Prepare written firm-wide records management and information governance policy
- Implement methods intended to standardize filing and protect and retrieve records contained in any medium (paper, remote servers, cloud, computer programs, etc.) for the systematic retention, transfer, storage, and disposal of records as required by law
- Improve company processes for file retention and storage
- Utilize e-discovery database to evaluate and process firm records
- Execute transfer of client records to and/or from the firm and serve as the primary liaison to facilitate requests
- Ensure smooth onboarding of new attorneys and staff, including transfer of incoming client files associated with lateral attorney hires
- Collaborate closely with IT to maintain and develop procedures to ensure compliance with the firm's Information Governance standards and policies
- Propose and participate in analysis with regard to new file management technology and continuous improvements of existing technology
- Advocate for transitioning to electronic versions from physical in efforts to reduce the overall paper inventory retained by the firm
- Perform wide range of tasks, from database management to letter writing
- Work with highly sensitive and/or confidential information
- Plan, coordinate, and assist with records-related activities, such as clean up events
- Develop and conduct periodic training regarding the records program, laws, policy, procedure, and technological changes affecting records management activities
- Educate firm leadership, attorneys, and staff in records identification, scanning, printing, recycling, and shredding options to insure efficient and appropriate handling of records
- Act as principal contact for information governance program related vendors
- Prepare regular status reports on team activities, projects, and other initiatives
Marten will be a great fit if you:
- Have a BA or BS degree
- Have extensive knowledge of records, documents protection laws and regulation best practices
- Professional certifications are preferred (Certified Records Manager (CRM), Information Governance Professional (IGP), or similar)
- Previous experience in a law firm, supporting a multi-office environment, preferred
- Three years' experience as a Records and/or Information Manager/Supervisor
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of electronic records management
- Experience with records management systems and document management systems
- Knowledge of imaging/scanning technologies and various search engines preferred
- Ability to organize workload effectively
- Strong systems analysis and problem-solving skills with attention to detail and quality control
- Must be a team player and willing to share information with others
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies quickly and independently
- Strong follow-up, follow-through, and priority setting skills are required
- Demonstrated ability to practice good judgment
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written, with all levels of a professional services organization are required
You can expect the following hours and benefits:
- A full-time position, working Monday through Friday 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m
- A generous competitive salary commensurate with your experience.
- A full benefits package, which includes: medical and dental insurance, paid time off, a 401k with employer match, life insurance, a transportation subsidy, and long-term and short-term disability policies
You can expect a respectful, diverse working environment.
- Marten Law does not tolerate discrimination, threats, bullying, harassment or any other unwanted behaviors of any kind between or among its employees, or third parties (including opposing counsel, clients, visitors, service providers or guests). People experiencing or observing any of these behaviors are expected to report it to the COO or the Managing Partners. Marten Law will investigate any complaint and take any actions deemed needed, up to and including termination.
- We believe every employee has the right to work in an environment that is free from all forms of discrimination. Consistent with applicable laws, the Firm makes all decisions involving any aspect of the employment relationship without regard to race; color; gender orientation and identity; religion; age; marital status; national origin, citizenship or immigration status; the presence of any sensory, mental, or physical disability; genetic information; honorably discharged veteran or military status; family relationship or status; political ideology; status as a victim of violent crime including domestic violence, harassment, sexual assault, or stalking; off-duty use of legal substances; or any status or characteristic not listed above that is protected by applicable local, state, or federal law. Discrimination and/or harassment based on any of those factors are inconsistent with our business philosophy and will not be tolerated. This policy of non-discrimination applies to all aspects of recruiting and employment, including compensation, benefits, advancement, transfers, and reductions in force.
Applicants must be able to pass a background check, and are expected to be truthful in all respects throughout the interview process.
To apply, fill out our online application at the link below.