Law Firm Talent Manager
Marten Law is seeking a Talent Manager for our national environmental and energy law practice.
Why Join Marten?
This is a job for someone with a passion for growth and for our mission – to secure our place as a national leader in environmental protection and the transition to a cleaner environment.
Our team of lawyers are recognized authorities in alternative energy, climate change, air quality, hazardous and solid waste, water resources and water quality, fisheries, environmental review and permitting, and a host of other issues that our clients confront every day. Unlike general practice firms, we focus on one practice area, so that we can be the best at it in the country. This has allowed our firm to represent clients in important energy and environmental matters over the years. After twenty years building our practice in the Pacific Northwest, we are ready to enter new markets, and recently opened offices in Washington. DC and Boston. If you share our excitement for growth and our commitment to hire, train, and retain the very best environmental and energy lawyers in the country, this is the right job for you.
What You Will Do:
This position manages all aspects of attorney and staff hiring, on-boarding, and retention. You will manage employee reviews and our benefits program, benchmarking to the best firms in our field. You will lead our on-campus law school interview process to identify and recruit the highest caliber students from top national law schools. This is a permanent, full-time position with exceptional benefits, a competitive salary, and a great work environment. We are looking for a smart, passionate candidate who has at least five years experience working in a law firm human resources department.
The successful applicant must be willing to work in Seattle.
Responsibilities will include:
- Reviewing our employee manual to ensure we benchmark to the best law firms in our field nationally.
- Taking ownership of all hiring and HR policies and procedures and the firm’s retention program.
- Promoting diversity in hiring, retention and advancement of lawyers and staff
- Preparing new, and revising existing, hiring and HR policies and processes.
- Assisting the partners draft and revise job descriptions.
- Receiving, reviewing, and forwarding promising candidate application packages.
- Tracking candidates through the hiring process.
- Ensuring effective collaboration with hiring managers and candidate review teams, by scheduling initial and follow-up interviews.
- Preparing offer letters and onboarding packages. This includes working closely with IT to provide relevant technology and training.
- Overseeing and extending our employee retention programs
- Being the main point of contact for benefit questions, guiding new hires in signing up for benefits, and assisting with their transition from prior benefits providers.
- Managing and reviewing current benefits programs, including annual renewal, ensuring benefits plans are superlative in the legal industry.
- Distributing HR policies with new-hires and answering employee questions about firm policies.
- Managing reviews.
- Maintaining employee personnel records.
- Working with and maintaining confidentiality of highly sensitive employee information.
- Developing and conducting periodic training programs.
- Preparing regular status reports on hiring and other HR related projects and initiatives.
Marten will be a great fit if you have:
- At least five years' experience in human resources management at a law firm.
- Experience supporting a multi-state law firm.
- Experience hiring diverse, highly talented attorneys and staff.
- A history of creating and administering professional development programs.
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills with attention to advancing firm culture.
- A desire to act as a team player and a willingness to share information with others.
- A demonstrated ability to learn new technologies quickly and independently.
- Strong follow-up, follow-through, and priority setting skills
- Good judgment.
- Excellent communications skills, both verbal and written.
Salary and Benefits:
- This is an exempt, full-time position
- You will be a member of the Firm’s Senior Management Team, alongside the heads of Finance, Marketing, and IT
- If selected, you will be paid a competitive salary commensurate with your experience, not less than $150,000.
- A full benefits package, which includes: medical and dental insurance, paid time off, a 401k with employer match, life insurance, a transportation subsidy, and long-term and short-term disability policies.
You can expect a respectful, diverse working environment.
- Marten Law does not tolerate discrimination, threats, bullying, harassment, or any other unwanted behaviors of any kind between or among its employees, or third parties (including opposing counsel, clients, visitors, service providers or guests). Period. People experiencing or observing any of these behaviors are expected to report it to the CAO or the Managing Partner. Marten Law will investigate any complaint and take any actions deemed needed, up to and including termination.
- Marten Law is promoting greater diversity in its ranks. We hire based on demonstrated qualifications without regard to sex, race, religion, sexual orientation, or other qualities but prefer candidates with a demonstrated commitment to environmental issues.
- We are an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. You can expect a thorough and unbiased interview experience.
Proof of Covid-19 vaccination is required for this position. All our employees are required to prove that they have been vaccinated. Applicants must be able to pass a background check and are expected to be truthful in all respects throughout the interview process.
Finalists for this position will be interviewed by the Chief Administrative Officer, the senior staff leadership team, and the partnership. We take a great deal of time to select new employees, and then invest in them for the long term.
To apply, fill out our online application at the link below.