Environmental Associate Attorney - Washington, D.C. Office
Marten Law has opened a Washington D.C. office and seeks a high-performing associate attorney to build its East Coast environmental and energy practice. The country is quickly expanding its use of clean technology and renewables, and we founded this office to serve clients in these areas and related fields. We are looking for an exceptional candidate with environmental transactional and/or litigation experience to handle some of the country’s most significant environmental issues.
This position requires substantive familiarity with state or federal environmental and energy laws. The successful candidate must have experience in either litigation under state or federal environmental and energy laws, or advising corporate and/or public clients on renewable energy facilities, enforcement, asset transfers, siting, permitting, and/or hazardous waste cleanup.
At Marten, you will:
- Be part of an elite team of lawyers, focused exclusively on the environment, who push themselves to be the absolute best.
- Enjoy the independence and opportunity for serious advancement that exists when you are practicing at a firm that matches your interests at a top salary that rewards your hard work.
- Work on the nation’s most interesting and sophisticated matters in environmental and energy law.
- Receive a competitive compensation package comparable to other elite law firms, with associate salaries starting at $190,000 in 2022. See our Employee Benefits Summary page for more information.
Marten will be a great fit, if you:
- Are a high performer with 3+ years of experience in federal and state environmental or energy law.
- Are an exceptional writer, with experience as the primary author of legal memoranda, briefs, motions, discovery, contracts, regulatory agreements, and/or substantive policy articles and commentary.
- Are an efficient, creative, and effective legal researcher, with experience researching environmental, land use, or administrative law and regulatory requirements at the federal and state level.
- Have substantial experience either:
- Representing public and private sector clients seeking to minimize the environmental liability risks associated with asset transfer, development, siting, and permitting (including wind, solar, energy storage, and natural gas facilities); or
- Representing public and private sector clients in other transactional matters involving environmental liability in business, including but not limited to hazardous waste cleanup; or
- Representing clients in administrative or court hearings, associated motions practice, administrative record cases and/or non-record civil cases, drafting and responding to discovery requests with limited supervision, conducting and supervising document review and production, and taking or defending fact and expert witness depositions.
Join our elite team.
As a growing national firm, we’re seeking highly motivated, top-tier attorneys looking to grow their practice and work synergistically with our other lawyers’ practice areas. Applicants must submit a cover letter, resume, writing sample, and transcript.