Environmental and Energy Attorney Position: Transactional or Litigation
Marten Law is seeking an attorney to join its growing national environmental and energy law practice. The country is quickly expanding to clean technology and renewables, and we are deepening our commitment to serving clients in these areas and related environmental fields. We are therefore looking for an exceptional candidate with environmental transactional or litigation experience to handle some of the country’s most significant environmental issues. We would also offer the attorney substantial support for their existing clients, if applicable. We are accepting applicants seeking to work in our Seattle or Portland offices, and will also consider candidates seeking to work primarily remotely.
This position requires substantive familiarity with state and federal environmental and energy laws. The successful candidate must have experience in either litigation under state and federal environmental and energy laws; or advising corporate and/or public clients on asset transfers, siting, permitting, and/or hazardous waste cleanup.
At Marten, you'll:
- Be part of an elite team of lawyers, focused exclusively on the environment, who push themselves to be the absolute best.
- Enjoy the independence and opportunity for serious advancement that only exists at a boutique firm—and a BigLaw salary that reflects your hard work.
- Work on the nation’s most interesting and sophisticated matters in environmental and energy law.
- Live and work in the beautiful Pacific Northwest—with the flexibility to work remotely from elsewhere in the country.
- Receive a competitive compensation package, with associate salaries starting at $175,000 in 2021. See our Employee Benefits Summary page for more information.
Marten will be a great fit, if you:
- Are a high performer with 3+ years of experience in federal and state environmental or energy law.
- Are an exceptional writer, with experience as the primary author of legal memoranda, briefs, motions, discovery, contracts, regulatory agreements, and/or substantive policy articles and commentary.
- Are an efficient, creative, and effective legal researcher, with experience researching environmental, land use, or administrative law and regulatory requirements at the federal and state level.
- Have substantial experience either:
- Representing public and private sector clients seeking to minimize the environmental liability risks associated with asset transfer, development, siting, and permitting (including wind, solar, energy storage, and natural gas facilities); or
- Representing public and private sector clients in other transactional matters involving environmental liability in business, including but not limited to hazardous waste cleanup; or
- Representing clients in administrative or court hearings, associated motions practice, administrative record cases and/or non-record civil cases, drafting and responding to discovery requests with limited supervision, conducting and supervising document review and production, and taking or defending fact and expert witness depositions.
- Graduated from a top law school or were in the top 10% of your law school class and served on law review.
- Have been admitted to the state bars of Washington and/or Oregon or are eligible for admission by your anticipated start date.
- Have a portable book of business (preferred but not required).
Join our elite team.
As a growing national firm, we’re seeking highly motivated, top-tier attorneys looking to grow their practice and work synergistically with our other lawyers’ practice areas. Applicants must submit a cover letter and resumé, writing sample, and transcript.