Kevin Haroff is the managing partner of the firm’s San Francisco office. He has represented Fortune 100 corporations, governmental entities, and private citizens in civil litigation and regulatory matters for more than 25 years.
Clients and colleagues have recognized Kevin as a “world-class … professional,” one of the “best in the business,” and “a talented and trusted … lawyer with the strategic vision to advocate for his clients while understanding their business realities.” Chambers USA has described Kevin as a "highly regarded litigator," with "great expertise and experience in more complex environmental matters." Kevin recently was recognized by Best Lawyers in America for his skills in environmental litigation.
Kevin has spoken at numerous business, law, and policy conferences in California, throughout the United States, and abroad. His speaking engagements have included presentations at Cornell University, the University of San Francisco, and Harvard Business School.
- Complex Civil and Appellate Litigation. Kevin has represented clients in federal and state court matters throughout the United States, including appellate matters before the California and U.S. Supreme Courts. In 2014, the U.S. Supreme Court denied certiorari review of lower court decisions in a multi-party, multi-million dollar environmental and insurance subrogation case in which Kevin represented the principal defendant – a major U.S. automobile company.
- Environmental Law. Kevin has represented clients on matters under the federal Superfund law, the Clean Water and Clean Air Acts, California’s Proposition 65, and other federal and state environmental statutes. He has handled a range of regulatory disputes involving the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the California Air Resources Board, the California State Water Resources Control Board, and the California Department of Toxic Substances Control.
- Land Use. Kevin is a recognized expert on land use issues, with a focus on matters involving the assessment of environmental impacts under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA). He has represented the Government of Guam in negotiations with the U.S. Department of Defense over the transfer of former naval air facilities. Kevin also has served as a planning commissioner and an elected city council member in Marin County, California, addressing numerous challenging project and local planning issues.
- Energy. Kevin has represented clients in connection with a range of conventional and alternative energy projects, including wind, biomass, geothermal and cogeneration. Kevin currently serves on the board of directors for MCE Clean Energy – California’s first community choice aggregation power provider, delivering electricity to residential and commercial customers throughout Northern California from a variety of renewable energy sources.
- Alternative Dispute Resolution. Kevin has been involved in the mediation and arbitration of a significant number of environmental and insurance disputes. Kevin has been praised by clients for his ability to “keep adversaries at the table working toward a solution.”